Sunday, May 9, 2010

Our Mother's Day Blessing

Krissy and I are fortunate to have a wonderful church to be a part of. We enjoy the classes we take, the choir we sing in, the many friends we have and a place to worship. Everyday when we pray, we thank God for our family at Calvin.

However, since the birth of our beautiful girl, we haven't been there. It's not without reason, though. Taking a colicky baby to any public place poses certain risks, and we'd hate interrupt Pastor Rob's sermon with a full-volume scream. Also, we are a little paranoid as parents when it comes to germs. Our pediatrician encouraged us to avoid church for the first two months and everyone loves a baby, and they love to touch the little hands ( these are the same hands that the baby will eventually stick in his/her mouth. Yuck).

So, for Mother's Day we finally ventured out to church. I'm pleased to say that she did well. She enjoyed the music, and slept through the sermon (sorry Rob). And she met many new people after the service, sleeping through all introductions. She made Krissy so proud for Mother's Day.

This good behavior continued through the entire day, making easy parenting for both Krissy and I. This evening I held her unswaddled about six inches from my face and she was happy and giving me eye contact; just generally being a sweetheart. I. Was. Loving. It.

It reminded me of how we get so caught up being parents and catering to our daughter's every need that we so easily forget how blessed we really are. We have so few moments to admire what a miracle she is, I'm happy I'm able to appreciate those moments when they occur.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment